Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Fwd: Update 28



Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jane boyce <janeboyce@live.com>
Date: February 28, 2018 at 10:14:48 PM AST
To: Jane boyce <janeboyce@live.com>
Subject: Update 28

Now I've done the BIG 3:  rode an elephant in a  jungle, a camel in a desert and a horse on a Caribbean beach!  I'm one lucky gal!!  Rog didn't want to go so it was just my guide and me...sad for her because this is peak season & she usually is booked with 10 riders 2X a day...great for me to have my own private ride!  We'll be leaving Vieques tomorrow so I need to wrap up my Vieques notes:
-As we were about to drive off in our sporty red Jeep, the rental clerk said, "Don't lock the doors ever.  If it's locked, someone will think you have valuables in it & break a window.  They never steal vehicles cause...well this is a small island so there's no where they can go."
-Drove passed the bunkers—the Navy's left overs.  Also drove by the crumbling remains of a sugar beet factory & overgrown cotton plants...pre Navy remains.  Sobering.
-We chuckle over seeing over and over projects started but left in limbo like:  a bike path about 200 feet long in the middle of no where; huge concrete lifeguard stations only half built;  giant parking lots with handicap spots that locals say no one uses cause you can just drive right up to the beach, like we did.
-DTE is here!  Yup, Detroit Edition has lots of trucks & men here on Vieques!!  
-Hurricane damage here is obvious with poles down & anything not concrete damaged.  One girl said she describes it saying it was like a huge brush hog took off all the vegetation over 5' tall.
-After crossing multiple speed bumps (called death bumps by locals), the pavement ended & gravel road started.  About 1/2 mile later, we see one of those "Your Speed is xx" signs that's working!  Really??  Who would notice??
I love traveling the "path less traveled."

Sent from my iPhone