Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Take My Baby: As I was leaving Shishu Bhaven, an skinny, wrinkled, old lady with a tiny baby hanging over her shoulders approached me. The baby's arms hung weakly and the women's eyes were full of pain. She began to pleadingly speak (probably in Bengali) to me trying to give the baby to me as she spoke. I froze. A Sister was near and I asked her what the woman was saying. Sister told me she wanted me to take the baby. She was the grandmother and could not care for it and work. If she didn't work, she could not eat. The parents had run away. It was all I could do not to hug that woman and the baby but I was afraid she'd force the baby in my arms and run. I asked the Sister if she could help but she was only visiting from another center. I asked her to tell the woman I was very sorry but I would not take the child. She should go in and talk to the Sister in the office and she would know what to do. Her look told me that she'd had rather give it to me than to put it in the orphanage. Could anything be more heartbreaking than to be so desperate that you would give away your grandchild? Being a grandmother myself, I could not imagine the pain but then could I watch my grandchild starve instead ? Pray was all I could do and what I ask you to do for her, the baby and the millions of other here who are so desperately poor.