Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Thailand #18

Refugee Camp-
Found out why the Safe Haven website called this a refugee camp: several times in the past when large numbers of refugee were crossing the Moie River, many ended up here until they could get into the UN camp or return to Burma. Sometimes as many as 100 would be camped somewhere on this site. Tasanne wisely does not share info on the children but likely many of them are also refugees.

The Moie River

Noah’s Ark:
I am convinced that if any of these children had been aboard Noah’s Ark--we would not have any animals on this earth. As I was reading the story to several of the small ones, they constantly pointed to the animals and then pretended to be eating saying MMMMMmmmm!

Self-Sufficient
Last night a truck pulled in and unloaded bamboo that will be used to build a chicken farm. Tasanne plans to make this place more self-sufficient. That made us think about the fact that in a way, we are becoming less self-sufficient. A hundred years ago in USA, most people lived like they do here. Building their own homes, growing their own food, making clothing , candles & furniture, no machines and little contact with others. No doubt most kids here could do that right now. We in America on the other hand, have grown to rely on machines & others for most everything. Is that progress?? It sure is more comfortable …but does often mean double incomes & more stress.

Teacher’s Warning:
A local teacher stopped by today to let Tasanne know that some older children in the school had made a “big mistake” and had been kicked out and now will probably never be able to finish. None of our children were involved but he wanted her to know so she could warn the children.

Bathroom Classroom:
As I was scrubbing my feet tonight (and believe me they needed it), several boys came in dressed in their undies & started to bath--which here means throw cold water on yourself, suds up & then pour more cold water over you. I told them I was washing my feet--which they, as usual, repeated as a way to practice their English --so I continued to talk about how I washed my feet--they repeated and asked me to spell--so I encouraged them to give me letters as I sounded out FEET, SOAP, BRUSH, WATER, PAIL--all the while they bathed. Once a teacher--always a teacher--where ever you are!!!

A Few Things We’ve Been Up To:
-Recent art projects: spiral snakes, painting with cotton balls, feathered birds, drawings complete with sprinkles (lots), clocks with moveable hands, puppets….

-Made Let A Poe wash his shirts as he doesn’t need another reason for others to tease him. He seemed pleased to get the soap I gave him & the supervision while scrubbing his shirts.
-Rog purchased the DVD of Cats & Dogs for the kids…fun night!
-Rog also purchased a hammock that he hung in our room…closest thing to a lazy boy chair around here!
-Chom made us some delicious spaghetti. The sweet sauce had tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic & chicken.
-Had to clean a head wound as his brother knocked him down & he hit a rock. Bloody proof these kids aren’t perfect.
-Elsi will be pleased to know that Chom played the piano keyboard at church tonight!!!



Big Boss
Christmas (short little 3 yrs old) saw another much older kid take a toy away from his 1 yr old buddy Cerio. He shook his little fist & shouted “You give it back NOW or I will beat you up!!”(In Karen language but translated by Chom) Cerio got his toy back.


DHS Motto
Many of my HS classmates sent me birthday emails most pointing out that 60 is not really that old--as they too would soon be 60 & felt much younger. That made me think of our class motto: If tomorrow be sad or not come at all, at least we’ve had today. DHS Class of ‘69 was wise beyond their years.