Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2019

Update 66

We're only an hour plane trip from Cairo...still in Egypt...but in a totally different environment...kinda a paradise. Sharm El Sheikh is a resort on the Red Sea located on the tip of the Sinai peninsula. It's drop dead gorgeous! Warm, brilliantly sunny, sapphire water, coral pink sand, blooming flowers, tall lush palm trees all under a crystal clear blue sky. Vastly different than the rest of Egypt that we've seen. We seldom "do resorts" but I so wanted to shed my sweatshirt and feel the sun. The locals all told us this was the place to do it. We booked it Sunday night and left Tuesday after dismissing our class 10 minutes early. At 9:30 pm we were enjoying the Movenpick buffet.
After weeks of a busy schedule & traipsing all over Cairo, it felt luxurious and I was content to be confined to a beach chair with no agenda but to soak up the beauty...eat...read...walk the beach...eat...read...take a dip in the pool...and then watch the glorious sunset. Though many snorkeled in the cold clear sea, I preferred spotting the colorful fish from the dock.
Here it's mostly Russians and Europeans on vacation. Haven't seen many Egyptians or other Africans except the wait staff.
Though I feel pangs of guilt, it mostly makes me feel so very grateful!

Sent from my iPhone