Search This Blog

Monday, January 27, 2020

Update 9

My birthday! The 11th year in 11 different countries. I got lots of attention: balloons, signs, chocolate wafer cookies, white chocolate bar and Coke Zero! It was an aha moment when I realized I was the oldest person on base. At the work site, Ben took my shovel away & I got the easier jobs working under shade. I cut rubber inter tubes (actually made in USA) so they could line the wood post. So Ben did a lot of shoving, Rog continued to pound on strappings and Jen got to help finish up the temporary school and put the desk back in it. The kids hanging around were encouraged to come sit in them. An unforgettable moment!
At the evening meeting, since we'd all posted the fund raising page Ben helped design and we raised over $1000 dollars for AHAH—we were awarded a AHAH sweatshirt. Jen had so wanted it and was thrilled when she got it! She quickly put it on (in spite of the 90+ temp) as every cheered. She was over the moon excited! It was our last meeting, so we were asked to speak. Rog talked about how he loved being around such good people doing good work. Ben talked about how impressed he was with AHAH & all the volunteers. Jen & I mostly cried.
Last meeting note was to sing Happy Birthday to me.
After the meeting, we jumped in the van & went into town to play basketball with the locals. B & J played while R & I cheered. An intense game! When we got back, they had a birthday cake...well some banana muffin like balls...waiting & sang another round of Happy Birthday. Then I headed to my mosquito netted bunk bed to read my Facebook birthday wishes.
Now how's that for a birthday!

Sent from my iPhone