Search This Blog

Sunday, April 30, 2023

Update #16

Sunday and Monday were National Holidays so I had two days to finish cleaning & organizing the books in the library What a dirty job but so rewarding when it was done…which took most of three days.  I made labels too and was able to laminate them.  My years of laminating came in handy!  The director's wife, Becky asked me to make a list of signs around the farm that needed to be made or replaced.  Ask me for a list and you'll get one…probably a lot longer list than you wanted!  Rog repurposed an old bunny pen into a trash bin and did lots of watering as the help had the days off.  He also helped work with Karl and a group of students on a picnic table…until the saw got over headed.  I snapped a picture of a girl with head covering & long dress learning to use the electric saw.  Cool.  We also spent time talking with Jenny who just got hired as HR.  She's Jamaican but lived in UK.  Rog challenged her to learn Grab It and I showed her how to play Bananagram.  I also had an interesting conversation with a visitor.  He was wearing his Muslim hat and carrying his prayer beads.  I asked if he'd mind telling me what he says for each bead.  He told me there''a 135 beads & he chooses a chapter from the Koran and repeats it 135 times.  I asked if that was to memorize it.  He said not really.  It was more a way to make the chapter a part of him.  To really think about all the parts of the chapter and what they mean.  He then thanked me profusely for asking and said he thought it was so important for people to try to understand other people the their customs.  I agree.  Karl and his his Dad came by and we got talking about politics.  Karl's Dad probably knows more about American politics than I do.  He is very worried about our democracy and felt Trump divided our country.  He is also worried about Putin.  Norway borders on a small section of Russia and in the past, there has been no issue but now there is friction.  Norway is part of NATO.  Actually many Gambians have asked us about Trump and felt he was a bad dictator.  The world is watching.