Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Update 35/ Jane's Final Thoughts

We loaded our plane on Sunday at 9:30 pm.  A couple movies, some visiting with the Irish lady next to me and some sleeping filled our 10+ hours flight to Istanbul.  During the almost 11 hours layover, we were able to rest in the Nap Zone a couple of times, played cards, walked around the airport (which is the world's largest) and had a sandwich.  Only a sandwich because it might be the most expensive airport in the world too!  The smallest McD hamburger was $16!  Sticker Shock after getting a whole shrimp dinner for two for $6 in VietNam.  There was a museum in the airport but we were told it would take about 30 min to walk through and cost $26.  We just played more cards.  We were back on the plane for the final leg which was 11+ hours.  Shan was there to pick us up and we were home in our own beds at 11 p.m.. 

 

My Final Thoughts

Again…I am so very grateful that we have the health & means to travel!  I love seeing the sites and wandering the country but mostly experiencing another culture & meeting the people!  In Cambodia, Sue & Monk Hun were incredible.  They have such giving & caring hearts.  The boys have a future because of their determination and Sue & Monk Hun.  In VietNam, I wished I'd found a place to do volunteer work.  I think I was worried I'd feel like a "do-gooder" trying to make up for the pain of the war.  It would be viewed harshly as so little, so late.  Now I think I was wrong.  We felt warmly welcomed and nothing but friendliness & kindness.  I actually have a sense of relief which is an unexpected gift.  Another thing I had all wrong was my concept of what a Communist country is like.  I expected lots of police presence & evidence of control over everything. I saw none. 

Both countries were gorgeous with so many brilliantly colored flowers!  Rice fields in the various stages from flooded to vivid green to dead brown stubble.  Rivers & streams seemed to caress every part of both countries.  Cambodian cities showed their age and had so many small, pop up businesses.  Tuk-tuks & bikes were everywhere.  VietNam was more modern but has quite a ways to go to catch up with the modern world.  We saw few bikes, lots of motorcycles, some cars & even semis.  Traffic was utterly crazy since no one has the right of way.  But all drive slowly and it seems to work seamlessly!.  Both countries will somehow need to address their pollution problems.

When I get home I know it will hit me that I live in a "palace on the lake" with lots of conveniences not available in Cambodia or VietNam.  I'll once again be reminded to be appreciative of all I have…especially my family, friends…and the best traveling companion!