Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Update #54

Saturday plans changed...no surprise...Kay's daughter sick.  So when Rog noticed the women doing the wash...out I went.  The scene:  right behind the bathroom, a mountain of clothes, a young girl (Anna, daughter-in-law of Grace) scrubbing vigorously with bar soap & brush in a tub of water, hose with running water in a basket of washed clothes:  Grace sitting crossed legged on a raised platform (probably septic tank) covered with old can, dried paintbrushes & a variety of other junk:  looking in a broken triangular shaped mirror propped up with point down on an old paint can where her cell phone sat and cutting her hair with scissors;  Grace's sister rocking her naked sleeping child.  How could I not jump right into that scene???  Refusing to listen to their protest, I picked up a brush & started scrubbing.  Anna looked at me and asked, "In America, you have washing machine."  "Yes, but in PNG I have pail & brush."  Everyone belly laughed.  We had a great time learning more about each other.  I heard all about Anna's future wedding party...here the groom's family pays for the bride to her family.  (Later heard one guy paid almost $7000 plus pigs, flour etc).  Anna also talked about college classes she is taking. Then Grace grabbed the hose, pulled down the top of her muu muu & lathered herself up. She shouted, "Miss Jane, snap (take picture) me!!" And stuck out her tongue & popped out her eyes.  Sure wish I'd had my camera!!  She is such a nut.  After she rinsed off, she opened a bottle of dark dye & applied it with a plastic bag around her hand.  Anna evidently was doing was for her extended family. She worked diligently and with much energy.  After about an hour, I was tired & hungry.  As I was saying goodbye, Grace spoke in her broken English words I will treasure:   "Miss Jane.  I have memory of you...white girl washing clothes.  You smile.  You laugh.  You share.  You Christian.  Other whites no smile.  Look away."