Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Update #55

Bikus Yu
Bikpela Jisas
Olsum Yu
Bikpela Tumas
Lookim

Translation:
Because of You
Big Fellow Jesus
Awesome You
Big Fellow Too Much (expression for God)
Look at Him

It always gives me goosebumps to sing & praise God with a church full of locals...mostly woman.  We sang the above song in Pidgin English and then in English we sang a song we sing at DUMC--Here I Am to Worship.  A butterfly flew by while we were singing--always a sign to me that my Mom is close.  Big goosebumps!    Though we were the only whites, we felt so connected.  The sermon was on God's awesome love for us--pretty easy for me to believe as He has blessed me so much...but I wondered how those around me felt.  A quote in the bulletin popped out at me:
Praise God for "challenges" in life...it is during these times that we truly experience His power and presence in our lives and protection over us His children.  Thank you Father for this gift of life in all its fullness."  Kiri
I know this to be true and have seen how strong faith is in so many dire situations we have seen in our travels.  My prayer today was that these people surrounding me would truly feel His amazing love.  The minister ended his message reminding us that we much show we're Christians by our actions, words & how we live our lives...a true challenge to those who have so little...and thus of us that have so much.
The praise band was excellent & sincere.  The church itself was a large metal shed, cement floor, mic, big screen & lots of fans...thank goodness.  Bulletin reported last week's collection was almost $6000.  Wow!  At one point it started to pour...the rain on the metal roof made it impossible to hear the minister even with his mic...but the sermon went on.  At the end, 8 young people came to the front as they were going to be baptized.  They were asked to answer 3 questions--but just like in our classes--not one answered...so the minister said, "I do."  Then into the pouring rain they went to the baptismal pool where they were dunked.  Kinda a double baptism.  
As we sat waiting for our ride, a man came up to talk to us about the church's vision of cell groups...based on The Purpose Driven Life...same book our church studied.  It really is a small world which is trying in any ways to be more united.  The man shook his head looking amazed as he was leaving & said, "Imagine, I was just talking to people from half way around the world!"

Sent from my iPad