Search This Blog

Sunday, March 2, 2014

63

Being around Sister Liz is such a treat!  Since she is my Mom's first cousin, so many of her mannerisms remind me of my mom...even the way she laughs....and her grin.  She is 85...Mom would have been 88 today.  We were talking about when my Mom died at 86 and Sister Annie & I agreed that she had lived a good life...but Sister Liz piped up,  "Wait a minute here, I think 86 isn't THAT good!"  Another thing I catch her doing is exaggerating & she is always early.  She also doesn't mince words...when Annie politely said, "In winter here, it is a damp cold", she shook her head and said, "It is just a DAMN cold!"  All traits of my Mom.  Her choice of patron saint takes the cake, Saint Dismus...the Good Thief who was on the cross next to Jesus...he asked Jesus to remember him and Jesus promised him he would see paradise that day.  Sister Liz boasted that if Jesus or Mary doesn't answer her prayers...she pray to Dismus because he will steal it for her!!  She claims she has never gone without what she has truly needed.  Dismus is a clever thief.  She had a Italian carpenter carve a cross with Dismus on it and it sits on her table...probably the only one in existence.  I feel like I am spending a bonus two weeks with my Mom.  In honor of my Mom's birthday, we worked on finishing the chapel:  hanging the cross, putting up a shelf for the tabernacle (a cigar box beautifully painted by Annie), moving in the altar, chairs & other special pictures.  When it was done, we said a prayer for God's blessing on this simple chapel...and wished Mom a Happy Birthday.