Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Fwd: Update 3



Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jane boyce <janeboyce@live.com>
Date: January 24, 2018 at 10:51:16 PM AST
To: Jane boyce <janeboyce@live.com>
Subject: Update 3

My birthday!  Another year...another part of the world!   Rog, Bob & Elsi went in search of breakfast after they dropped me off at the grocery store...I really don't like to eat breakfast.  I shopped for food to feed us & Johanna & girls and also food for the food pantry at the church.  Johanna and I had made a list so I filled my cart.  Next, I went to a store that had bedding & shopped for stuff we'll want when we clean at the two brother's house on Thursday.  Elsi finished that job & Rog and I loaded the car with the food.  After loading the food, sheets, pillows, comforters & luggage,  we were packed to the gills when we headed back to Maunabo.  Made one more stop at the last big grocery store before Maunabo to get meat, veges  & a key lime pie and pulled into town around 1 pm.  We downed some p & j sandwiches and then headed over to the parish hall that has been turned into a storage room for lots of donated items.  We added our food donations and then made up about 50 bags filled with food ready to give out as needed.  Next we had to re-bag about 200 donated bags filled with snacks, school supplies...and insect repellent which unfortunately had leaked in several bags.  Good idea that went bad.  They are ready now to give to a school.  

 I spent much of the next hour getting phone calls from my kids & grandkids and reading emails & facebook post all wishing me a happy birthday.  Loved it!!  Rog & Elsi took over the kitchen preparing fajitas & rice.  Johanna decorated the dining room...the formal one...and we (plus Marietta) had a delicious & enjoyable dinner topped off with singing, presents & key lime pie.  We sat around the table for a very long time hearing stories about Hurricane Maria.  The fear...the devastation...the depression...the lack of communication...the uphill battle to try to pick up the pieces.  We listened as they let some of the hurt seep out.  So much pain.